Main image
20th April
2003
written by kat

20 April 2003
MONTE CARLO, April 20 (Reuters) – Spain’s Juan-Carlos Ferrero won his second successive Monte Carlo Masters title on Sunday and set himself three goals for the rest of his career.
“I want to be number one in the world,” he said after his 6-2 6-2 victory over Argentine Guillermo Coria in a one-sided final. “I obviously want to win Roland Garros on clay.
“But I’d also like to win the U.S. Open to silence all the people who keep thinking that Spaniards can’t do it.”
While the Valencia-born player, 23, has won two hardcourt titles (Dubai in 2001 and Hong Kong in 2002) and would love to prove that he can play on all surfaces, his priority over the next eight weeks will be on clay.
Ferrero’s main aim at the end of the eight weeks will be to go one step further at this year’s French Open, where he was beaten in the final last year by compatriot Albert Costa.
“Hopefully I will not have the same health problems as I had last year,” said Ferrero, who joined Ilie Nastase, Bjorn Borg and Thomas Muster as the only players to successfully defend their Monte Carlo crown.
“It was strange final in which I never played at my real level. I was forced to take painkillers for my ankle and my shoulder was hurting too. Albert played a great match as well.
“Last year I had those health problems, but this year I have no problems, I play well (and) mentally (I’m) very strong. I keep fighting and trying and I don’t make any mistakes.”
Ferrero said he would build-up for Roland Garros in exactly the same way as last year and enter tournaments in Barcelona, Valencia, Hamburg and Rome.
However, this year, Ferrero thinks he will be better prepared for Roland Garros after losing to Costa and in the final of the season-ending Masters Cup in Shanghai to world number one Lleyton Hewitt last year.
“When you lose big finals like these, you earn experience. You learn a lot.”

Comments are closed.